I think she's ready....

Tuesday last week, I visited a preschool close from our home. I might sound too excited here, well, I'm a first-time mom, and I can't help it :) 
I've been thinking and many times been contemplating as the  moon and stars above are my witnesses to enroll my daughter to preschool. She's turning 2 before the coming school year, so I think she's just right in time. You are right, she'll be 2 before the start of the class. The school teaches from 2-6 years old. 
I was toured by the principal, checked there facilities, programs and mode of teaching. I asked about how they can teach children like my daughter considering all she knows and understands are her milk, herself, milk, and herself.
She enjoys watching videos at youtube.
It is very important for me, that my daughter be exposed in an enriched environment - visual, auditory, language and so on - because that lays the foundation for her development later in life. Another reason is to develop her social skills. We live in a place wherein we do not know our neighbors which means she plays alone and with me, of course. As a mother, I want to see her enjoying her childhood, seeing her play with other children and make friends. 
But now I'm having second thoughts because my husband is disapproving my desire to enroll our daughter. 
"It's too early for her. She can barely utter words. All she could do in class is to look for you.", my husband said.
Until, I saw a blog just recently about a mom who educates her children through homeschooling. You might also check her blog http://just-starting-out.blogspot.com. I was thinking of doing the same method. Since my daughter is just 2, I guess it needs a lot of work and patience. My questions are, how to start? What are the things I need to consider especially with her age? Is this really the perfect age for her to learn more than playing and walking at the park?

Comments

Unknown said…
surround her with educational materials. spend time teaching her a lesson everyday. try to make a lesson plan na bagay sa age nya.... it takes 30minutes or up to an hour lang nmn kasi madali magsawa ang bata...
hubby said…
Learning at home is the best... I always believe in that!...
Andrea said…
It's honestly totally up to you. My daughter is four and has not been to preschool yet. Many people ask me what I'm waiting for. We think it's about time now, but I know loads of people who have had their children in school at an earlier age than I am going to. There are tons of ways to educate at home. I'm not officially homeschooling, but she learns so much from me and our day to day. It's really up to you and what you and your husband decide to do. We moms feel guilt for so many things, you have to think this through and decide what's right for your child and your family! Good luck!
We didn't do preschool either. Not that anything is wrong with it, but there are so many things you can do at home. Reading stories, singing songs, playing blocks, coloring with BIG crayons, dancing, etc...and planning playdates with friends gives them that social interaction. We started going to storytime at the local library when the kids were tiny too. They loved that!
Unknown said…
JDaniel will start preschool in the fall. He is three. We have worked on doing puzzles, pretend play and other learning
activities.

There are tons of blogs with ideas. Here is one that has a link up for young children:
http://1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com/search/label/Tot%20School
kat said…
Oh at the age of 2, I did homeschooling to my kids, and when they were 4, i sent them to a proper school. Yong room nya lagyan mo ng mga educational materials, sometimes they studied on their own kasi.

Thanks for the comment anyway.
Deb Chitwood said…
I think you really have to decide what feels right for your daughter and your family. The right preschool can be wonderful and so can homeschooling! My daughter was always homeschooled until college (and was very happy with that). My son had a year of Montessori preschool (which he loved) and a year of traditional kindergarten (which he didn't like). Otherwise, he was homeschooled (which he loved) until college. Wishing you the best in finding the right fit for your daughter!
Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com